Monday, February 5, 2007

What Am I 80?

Maybe I can blame it on my current state but I have had some disturbing actions lately that are not normal for me.
It started when I took my parents to lunch a couple weeks ago after church. We decided on Shakey's so the kids would play and we could talk. I felt that I should pay since I had invited them and forced Shakey's on them so I ordered a pizza and ONE buffet. I am not sure how my parents felt but they didn't have much choice about it. I made several trips back and forth from the buffet and put the plate in the middle for us all to eat off of. Lauren is probably calling me GHETTO right now.
That wasn't the end of it. The next week I went out to dinner with a friend at Tio Leo's. I am quite obsessed with their chips and salsa soooo... You guessed it- at the end of the meal I asked for a box and container so I could take home all the extra chips and both of our salsas. I think my friend thought I was losing it. I think I am losing it. Ordinarily that would have mortified me.
And the final straw to make me feel like I am 80 came tonight. Ella had arranged with me to get a treat and so we made our way to the mall to get a cookie at the Nestle Toll House. When we arrived she wanted a box of conversation sweethearts instead that you can get anywhere during Valentines. I inquired how much they were and the clerk informed me that they were $1.25. So in my head, and out loud I said that we could get them for a quarter somewhere else. So what did I do? I bought her a $2.50 cookie instead and promised we would get the sweethearts at the grocery store or somewhere later. She made me promise it would be that night. Why didn't I just pay $1.25? To make matters worse when I arrived at Walgreen's drugstore later for no other reason, now with 3 more kids in tow who obviously also needed conversation hearts I started to really question my practicality. I ended up buying an 8 pack for $3.00. An extra stop and $5.50 later I am wondering what principle I was fighting when I made my original decision. 80 years old I am telling you.

4 comments:

Becky said...

That reminds me of Gregg's grandma...
All you need to do now is go to Hometown Buffet and steal things home in your purse...

Lauren Faiai said...

Yes..."Ghetto" would be a great word to describe your actions...although, I'd have to admit (before Tara calls me on it) that every once in a while at Panera, I use the water cups for soda...and keep going back for refills.

TK said...

That's pretty funny. Maybe I'm influencing you that way. I'm really not like that it's more my husbands influence on me. How sad what will we be like when we actually are 80 if this is us now. If only our actions could get us a senior discount at the movies.

Lauren- I'm not sure what was funnier, Cameron drinking ice tea or the free sample cup he was drinking it from. Let's plan a free Panera outing soon.

Kara said...

.