Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Grasp on Reality

So let me start off by saying. IT'S A BOY!!! I think most of you already know but just in case word didn't spread.
I was struck all day with signs that children of a young age have a really hard time grasping all of these concepts that are coming along with being pregnant. My day started with a phone call at 7:50 am (my day to sleep in so I wasn't very excited about it). Anyway it was from a mom at Haley's school. Haley is friends with her daughter so we chat occasionally but that is about it. Anyway she wanted to say "congratulations" she didn't even realize I was pregnant but I guess my 6 year old at 7:45 am this morning invited her to my baby shower (that is at least 3 months away). Remind me to add her to the invite list in a couple of months.
The day continued on with my ultrasound appointment which went fine. We were going to take Ella but she didn't want to go. I don't think she quite knew how they were going to see the baby so she wanted no part of it in case it required "surgery".
We then went to Haley's class to share the news. Her teacher is very sweet and wanted Haley to tell the class what we had found out. So after sharing with her in the hall (she tried to mask her disappointment to it not being a girl), she went back in and stood there until the teacher had gotten everyone's attention. I was standing in the doorway holding Ella. Haley's message started like this, "Today my mommy went to the doctor and got her baby out to find out if it was a girl or a boy" At this point one of the boy's in class (not the sharpest boy by all means) points in my direction and says loudly "I see it, I see it!" I then realize he thinks Ella is the baby. A stretch by all means since she is 4 but he thought for sure she was the baby Haley was referring to. No grasp I tell you!
To finish off my wonderful day of bright comments made by children, Ella says to me "Mommy do each of your boobies have a suck thing or just one of them?"

I rest my case.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of you already know??? NO!!! So much for BFF! Okay, but I have to admit that I knew it was a boy already and I'm glad there's no more "it" and we can say "he"!!!
Congratulations, so happy!

Anonymous said...

HAHA. Why don't you just tell Ella, One's for baby brother and one's for daddy!!

TK said...

Thanks again for this. It was the highlight of my day earlier and now again this is the highlight of my evening.

Anonymous said...

Yippee!! So excited!! Boys are awsome!! Out of the mouths of babes, I tell ya. Nobody can say it like they do. You made me smile. :)
--shannon