Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Daddy the Dentist

Please tell me that we are not the only ones that feel like the kids are running the show sometimes. We seem to have let the bedtime routine spiral way beyond what would be normal. I don't even know when it happened. Thankfully for me it requires much more work on Daddy's part than mine.
It starts with the "tootsie roll". This is where Daddy wraps them up in blanket so that no part of their body is showing. He carries them up the stairs to our bed where I have to be waiting in anticipation as he unrolls them (quite rapidly) so they spin out onto the bed. Just the beginning...
After "tootsie roll" Daddy becomes the dentist for Ella and Mommy becomes the dentist for Haley (I am not as much fun but Haley is old enough to not really care that much). This part is where they wait in the waiting room and get called in to get their "cleaning". Heaven forbid we call it "brushing" that ruins the whole routine. The "cleaning" starts with flossing and moves to pretend "numbing". We then continue with a lot of praise for how brave and good of a patient they are. Believe me when I say that at no point can we come out of character. It finally ends with a piece of cotton sticking out of their mouths for the pretend filling that got done. My job then is to be Mom again where I show great enthusiasm for how well they did.
You would think at this point we would be finished but the bedtime routine continues with cuddles, stories, pictures, kisses, and a whole lot of promises to come back and check on them with tummy rubs thrown in. No wonder I can never seem to get enough energy up after they are asleep to do anything more productive for the rest of the night.
Now you are probably wondering why we let it continue. I am not really sure. It might be the joy they get out of the whole charade. It might be that we feel that they will get tired of it and be done. Maybe it's just that I don't watch enough SuperNanny. But what I do know is that the other morning when Ella looked up into Chad's face and said, "Daddy, you know at night when you are the dentist? You're still my Dad right?" I think I can go a few more nights.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Too funny the whole time reading the beginning I was thinking how I need to tell you to watch "Super Nanny", guess you already thought of that. But,
1.You're making it fun
2. You're avoiding "natzi" dentist like I am at my house
3. You're creating memories.
Great job, mama!

Anonymous said...

Great Post, Kara! This kind of stuff makes me sad that I don't have a girl of my own! Although, I'm sure my boys wouldn't mind a "tootsie roll" every once in a while!

TK said...

We have a routine over here as well with Rhett but I will admit the tooth brushing is not as theatrical. Poor Emmie is lucky if I remember to pray for her.

You and Chad obviously are very loving parents and probably somewhere deep down get almost as much joy from it as they do. I'm sure Super Nanny would approve.