Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Kids Say The Darnedest Things

Is that a word? Darnedest? I thought there was a tv show called that. I felt like I could have been on that show yesterday. We took Haley and four of her friends to build-a-bear for her birthday. For those of you who haven't experienced the joy of that store let me just warn you that unless you have a lot of money-stay away! When you do a party there you can set a limit for each child. I chose $20 which I thought was pretty high. Apparently not! Upon arriving one little girl asked if she could get her brother a bear. I said no unless she wanted to give him hers. A little bit later the same girl asked if I was having another baby. Then she proceeded to ask why my tummy was still big. I knew it was coming but it still was more than irritating. After a few more minutes-same little girl (I was beginning to regret inviting her) asked why at Nicole's b-day party they got to get clothes and a bear and at Haley's they only got a bear. I told her Nicole's mom obviously had more money than Haley's mommy.

The whole experience was more than a little stressful. Kids wanting extra items. Parents standing around telling their children they could come back later and get them. Translation- Haley's mommy is cheap and isn't paying for anything else. At the end we had cupcakes and a different little girl asked me where the goodie bags were. I responded very sweetly, "I'm sorry honey I didn't bring goodie bags but you get to take home a $20 stuffed animal!" She just gave me a dirty look.


Ella also had a few friends since her birthday is only a week away. Not to be outdone by the other ungrateful children she proceeded to throw a fit that one of Haley's gifts was a barbie with a horse and she only got the horse and the paper barbie that was attached to the box. Just a little embarrassing.




I think we will move to a third world country.

I think they can adapt.

5 comments:

Steve Faiai said...

K-LO,

You are such a great Mom! Way to keep your composure through all of that girls sillyness. Let's not invite her anymore!

Lauren Faiai said...

I just don't know how you do it, love. You are stinking AMAZING! I just read this post to my parents. You had us all cracking up!

TK said...

Thanks Kara for the laugh and for the heads up. I just officially decided to NEVER celebrate my kids birthdays at Build a Bear.

Hope your girls had fun.

TK said...

Ooops didn't mean to send it yet. Also wanted to say I love the picture of all three of them. Beautiful.

berrytribe said...

So, I should ONLY take Jake, and leave the friends at home. This was so great as I've been thinking about doing this for Jake's next b-day. I'll come up with a plan B. :)
LOVE the pic of the 3 kiddos-definitly a good moment!!