Friday, October 20, 2006

Money Vault

My kids keep telling this story so I thought maybe it would be a good, entertaining post.
We had the Oktoberfest street fair a couple of weeks ago and near our store was a radio station booth. Haley was obsessed with this booth mostly because they had a money vault. Haley loves money. It was a perfect babysitter for her. She just stared at that money all day long. It is one of those clear boxes where the money blows all around and you have 30 seconds to grab as much as you can. Anyway she became friends with the radio reps ( mostly due to the fact that she was there for hours on end, they didn't have a choice). On the first day she signed Daddy up to see if his name would be drawn. Sure enough he was chosen to go in the money vault (they call a name every 1/2 hour). Any of you that know Chad know that he is very competitive and he really likes winning money for sure. So he had his plan of attack on how he was going to get as much as he could. The catch was that you not only had to grab it but you had to stick it in this tiny slit to actually win it. Otherwise I guess you could stick it in your pants, pockets, etc. They had to make it a little difficult. Well Chad won $61 which was quite a good amount I guess. They mostly have ones in the vault and a few $5's and $10's. Most people won around $30.
On Saturday Haley and Chad conspire to sign me up but I never win anything so I didn't think much of it and anyone who knows me knows I wouldn't do it anyway. And I told Haley and Chad this as well that I wasn't doing it. Talk about my worst fear. Tons of people staring at you while you perform. NO way!!! On Sunday Haley put my name in again and had also been chosen as the designated name drawer every 15 minutes. Guess whose name she chose? Yep, me. They come running over all giddy and happy that my name is on the board. My reply. "I am not doing it!" Chad's reply " You have to -it's free money" My nerves went crazy I think I was starting to shake. I went over to the booth and asked if Chad could do it instead but of course since he had already gone they wouldn't go for that. So I had no choice! I wasn't happy at all and it didn't help that Haley was jumping up and down screaming "GO MOMMY" Which I think attracted at least 50 more people in and of itself. I think one of my biggest fears was that I would fail miserably, not catch any money, and be a laughing stock. Chad decided he would give me as many pointers as he could since he considered himself a master with his $61.
So I went in the box. Had 30 seconds. Tried not to look up at all so I couldn't see who was watching me. Guess what? I got $66! I not only beat my husband(which never happens) but I held the record for the whole weekend. I was quite proud of myself mainly because I did it in spite of my fear and it paid off -literally. I tried rubbing it in to Chad but he decided it was because of his pointers that I got so much. Maybe! But I still won!

4 comments:

TK said...

I can't believe this is the first time I'm hearing about this story. We need to talk more. By the way I think this is proof you do perform well under pressure. Maybe I should get you up on the stage during Family Night.

Becky said...

Kara,
You were saying that you would never do that, and you did and you won...Very cool. You're a pro cash-grabber now. And I agree with Tara, you should be on stage at FAM JAM.

Kara said...

30 seconds is my max :)

TK said...

I could have you do a lot in 30 seconds.