Thursday, March 6, 2008

No Love For The DMV

That title is an understatement! It all started back in January when my license was up for renewal. Being the disorganized person that I am I didn't realize it until a week after the fact. For those of you who are smart enough to make an appointment know that they are good and backed up a couple of months so I had no choice but to give up my afternoon sitting with the masses waiting for my stupid number to show up on the TV screen that everyone stares at. I like how they make you wait in the "information" line for a good 20 minutes then give you your paperwork and a number that seems like it will take a year to reach. And why does everyone just sit like zombies staring at the screen. Do they realize it goes in order? Or do they think their number is going to magically appear? Did anyone ever see that Seinfeld episode where he talked about how the DMV had the ugliest people in the world? And the most unpleasant as well. Anyway back to the story. So Ty and I waited over an hour for our number then we had to wait again in another line to get my picture. Finally I was done. Three lines later and my afternoon gone. But at least I was done!
Until today. I realized that my temporary license expires tomorrow and I still had not received my new license in the mail. It has been two months so I call and wait and wait and wait until I finally get someone on the phone. He informs me that my picture didn't develop and I needed to go back into the office and retake it. Are you serious? At this point I was very frustrated. Why wasn't I notified sooner? I had at least hope that I wouldn't have to wait again. Surely I would be sent to only the one photo line. So all three kids (still with days like today I can't believe I have that many) head off to the DMV. No Parking! Not a good sign. Finally get in line in the "information" line with my frustration already mounting over the stupid situation. I explain to the very rude lady at the counter what happened and she hands me a new application and my "number" I tell her I already did all of this and isn't there "a move to the front when the DMV makes a mistake" She gave me a not so nice look and almost looked pleased that I would have to be waiting for a really long time. After protesting as much as I could muster since at this point I start to cry I move to wait again with the masses. No chairs available for my large family to sit so we proceed to stand in a huddle, staring at the screen and me with tears rolling down my face. Haley says, "Mommy don't cry your eyes are going to be all red for your picture." Not to mention I had no make-up on. It is going to be a lovely shot for me to remember this day for the next five years. I pray that will be the length of time I get to wait before I have to step foot in another DMV. In the meantime I am going to take some classes on confrontation and building your self confidence. Then I will go back and speak again to the lady at the counter!

1 comment:

TK said...

Good story on how to not run an organization. Maybe I should share this on the Noah's Club blog to show volunteers how not to act with parents.

Sorry you had to endure that. This is proof on how strong moms need to be because we never get the luxury of facing difficulties on our own we are always strapped with at least one child or more to make it that much harder.